Thursday, May 23, 2013





“So where are you going to college?”

“Well, I don't have any plans as far as that goes. 
As of right now I’m actually working for my father and I’ve done some modeling on the side. 
Then of course living at home I get to help my mom homeschool the younger kids and--” 

“Oh... 
I see. Well you know you’ve got a lot of potential, it’s probably a good idea to start thinking about that.”

End of awkward irritating conversation #388. 

I’m not defective. I’m not lazy. I am different.


“If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”
~John 15:19
Just because I don’t dream of becoming a high profile doctor or an infamous lawyer, that doesn’t mean I will “waste away my life”!

I have a dream (cue the Tangled soundtrack).
I dream of raising beautiful warriors for God’s army. 
I dream of being the very best soulmate & helpmeet I can to my future husband. 
Of loving him and joyfully assisting him in his work for the Lord.
I dream of traveling often with my husband and children.
I dream of painting in my house by the sea, 
in my spare time;)

Do I have an explicitly detailed plan of how to go about achieving my dreams? Well, no. 
But maybe that’s not all bad. In not having the years to come mapped out, I’m learning how that forces me more than ever to seek Jesus as my goal for every little decision.


I’m not as secure in my decision to abstain from the traditional collegiate route as I’d like to be. And the lack of support I get from society is overwhelming at times. 
While my “plan” is to simply chase Jesus, I seem attacked at every turn by another human telling me how I must take control of my future.
 “What are you doing with you’re life?”
 “Don’t you know what you want to be by now?”
 “So how will you make a living?”  
And the ever so eloquent: 
“But like..what do you like...do?”

These people may mean well. But lately I’ve been having to remind myself that I am not to be of this world. And the goals and aspirations which our culture holds in so high esteem are in fact, completely meaningless. 

This is so very difficult to remember sometimes. Though I do not know what tomorrow holds, I know the One who holds the pages of the story of my life, which I have yet to read. 

“In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
~ John 16:33

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I couldn't agree more, and I so admire your boldness. It's hard when God's calling directly contradicts the expectations of the world. I have been thinking about your post and ran into a very interesting study regarding teen women. It said that "Only 1% of teen girls explicitly identifies “domestic work” or “homemaking” as their future occupational choice. Most of these young women still expect to raise families, but just anticipate doing so later in life." You can check out the rest of the article here: http://www.barna.org/teens-next-gen-articles/548-top-trends-of-2011-women-making-it-alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. And that was two years ago. Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete